Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Fish Out of Water


Last month I had the, I guess I shall call it “privilege,” to participate in a special ceremony in Italian culture. Actually, I participated in four. The Dicottesimo or 18th birthday as it would be in America is a grand event in Italian culture. In America, turning 18 means one makes the transition from adolescent to adult, and while the meaning is very much the same here in Italy, the celebration is more equivalent to that of a wedding than the average birthday party. It is seen as a sort of coming out party in which family and friends present the birthday girl/boy to the world, offering their hand as a grown adult to the myriad of society. The celebrations are a spectacle, filled with lots of food, friends, and endless festivity. I was grateful to be welcomed into the joyous occasions, as I was aware of how special they are to the people here, but I must be perfectly honest when I say that it was at these events that I felt most like a foreigner.

Now I must explain why exactly I felt this way, as I’m aware of how lucky I am to even have the opportunity to participate in something like a dicottesimo. I am a very simple person—I don’t wear a lot of make-up, I am an utter disaster when it comes to styling my hair, and I spend most of my spare change on coffee and books rather than clothes. Actually, my mother or sister usually has to point out when it’s time for me to go clothes shopping. In short, I’m not one to spend hours making myself up. That is not to say that I don’t enjoy getting myself gussied up; like most girls, I enjoy a fun night out feeling beautiful, confident, elegant, and, dare I say it, even sexy at times. Yet even at those times, I always take the “less is more” route. Many of my friends and family are the same way, so I suppose we have formed a comfort zone with each other in this sense. Well this simplicity made me stick out like a sore thumb the first time I stepped into a dicottesimo. Here is my story for your enjoyment:

            My host sister, Ida, told me that I should wear something nice, a dress would be best. In my head I recalled exactly which dresses I brought with me: a plain, black cotton-stretch sundress and a maroon cocktail dress. Alright, I thought, cocktail dress it is then. I asked Ida if this dress would be appropriate, especially if it would be okay for me to wear with my calf-length black boots (as it was chilly out and I didn’t have fancy stilettos as she did). She told me it would probably be fine, that they would understand I was American. I’m still not sure if that was meant as reassurance or as a slight. Either way, I told myself not to worry about it and instead to just enjoy the evening as it came. I decided that to make up for the lack of stilettos I would curl my hair instead. After putting a little color on my cheeks and lips, I felt pretty good about myself. It was nothing glamorous, but I figured I would at least blend in.       
As we pulled up to the restaurant where the party was being held, Ida stopped me as we got out of the car. “By the way, I don’t know this girl very well, but I do know her family is kind of rich so I think this party will be very fancy.” Fantastic, I thought, you couldn’t have mentioned that earlier? I realized then that Ida was feeling just as uncomfortable about her appearance as I was about mine, and she was the one wearing the nice shoes! Suddenly, my worry returned that I might not be quite so appropriately dressed for the occasion. Perhaps “tacky American” would be the look I was going for then. We stalled for a few minutes waiting for Ida’s stepsister, who is classmates with the birthday girl, to arrive so that she could accompany us in. When we could no longer bear the cold night air, we forced ourselves to smile and we braved the glowing party lights.
            It was a sea of leggy brunettes in stilettos (I cannot emphasize this enough), each of them looking as if they were prepared for a fashion photo shoot. As if Ida and I being the only blondes in the room did not make us stand out enough, I, even in my flat boots, was about three inches taller than almost every girl there in her six-inch heels. So, not only was I under dressed, but I looked like a giant. I could actually feel their stares as I entered the room, could hear them asking each other, “Chi è quella ragazza?”—Who is that girl? As they looked me up and down, it dawned on me that all of these girls were between the ages of 15 and 18—I was one of the oldest people in the room, and yet their stares made me feel like a lost child. Never have I felt so old and so naïve at the same time. The room was brightly lit, the gold colored walls making everything luminous. The tables had floral arrangements in a deep red color that perfectly offset the gold, and on each were two or three bottles of wine. In the far corner opposite the tables a deejay was finishing setting up his equipment while his associate was laying the dance floor and putting up the disco ball. Two professional photographers were casually milling through the crowd, snapping an endless series of posed photos of the party goers. Maybe this was actually a photo shoot. As one who has never been very good with large crowds, my heart immediately began to race at this spectacle. Sweet, baby Jesus help me. Ida led me to the coat check and as the attendant handed me a slip of paper with my coat number on it, I realized I didn’t have any pockets or a purse with me. I stood there for a moment contemplating how I could sneakily slip the number into my bra without anyone seeing, but thankfully Ida grabbed it from me and put it in her purse. We were joined at that point by Ida’s stepsister, and as we turned to face the party, I saw her—the birthday girl. The crowd parted as she glided towards us dressed in a golden evening gown, her hair pinned back from her face in elegant curls that hung gracefully on her shoulders. You’ve got to be shitting me, was all that was going through my head. She greeted us with a gracious smile, thanked us for coming, and linked arms with the three of us for a photo. Awesome, now there will be documentation of my giant tackiness. I had a flashback to my own 18th birthday party and how drastically different it was from this. Mine included a small handful of friends coming over to my house for popcorn, cake, and a movie, and somehow the night evolved into a big frosting fight. On my 18th birthday I wore no beautiful dress or had my make-up in place; I was covered, as were my friends, head-to-toe in multi-colored cake frosting. I chuckled at the thought of how all of these girls might react to butter cream frosting splattering their dresses.
            As the evening went on and I drank a few glasses of wine, my uneasiness slowly wore off and I actually began to enjoy myself. The catered food was delicious and ridiculously filling, the desserts, including a legitimate wedding cake, were divine, and by the time we all hit the dance floor, no one took notice of how each other looked. At that point I was particularly pleased to have worn flat boots.
            As I have attended more of these dicottesimi I have gradually become more comfortable, even though I may still be considered under-dressed. While at first glance they seem a little over-the-top in my opinion, I can’t help but notice how much joy is in the room during the party. The birthday girls/boys smile from ear to ear the entire night, obviously thrilled that their special moment that they have been anxiously awaiting for many years has finally come, and in that moment they are the center of attention. As superfluous as it all may seem to me, I can’t deny the happiness that the celebration brings and the rite of passage it brings.

So while this little story may seem random and off the beaten track from what I have been writing, it was one of the most memorable experiences I have had here. Humiliating, yes; nerve-racking, yes; but it was nevertheless exactly what I came here for—to experience something completely different from my small corner of the world, to engage with people who are vastly different from myself, that would push me out of my comfort zone, and try to find some sort of enlightenment from it all. So what, you may ask, did I take away from the experience? Well, with a smile, some good music, and your dancing shoes, you can never have a bad time no matter if you’re fitting in or standing out.


Here are a few pictures from some of the dicottsimi that I have attended





        

No comments:

Post a Comment